Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog 18



My Ordination – a new beginning

Those who know me well will know that I’m not one for ceremony. In fact, in my 14 plus years as a pastor, I have never given much thought to the need to be ordained. I suppose it has much to do with my background, having come from independent evangelical churches where there has always been a strong lay leadership presence and governance with or without the presence of ordained pastors. After all, isn’t it the call to and effectiveness in the ministry that really matters? Why then the need to go the extra step to be ‘ordained’?

Since joining the Christian and Missionary Alliance however, I have begun to appreciate the need to be ordained.

Firstly, the denomination recommends that a pastor works toward ordination. According to the latest Ordination Council Report 2013 of the Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA), Australia, a pastor or worker is ordained as an affirmation that he has been set aside for ministry, has been examined in respect to doctrine, character and gifting and have been found qualified to serve in Australia and worldwide.

Now, having gone through 2 separate readings, including one on C&MA History and Thought, and a second on the Manual of the C&MA Australia, the submission of book reports and essays, attendance at a Leaders’ Orientation Course and Cross Cultural Seminar and finally having gone through 3 gruelling oral doctrinal, theological and ministry interviews, I am more convinced that any candidate to life-long ministry should be thoroughly examined in pursuit of theological excellence and ministry fitness.

Indeed, beyond a close and personal relationship with Jesus, on-going education and disciplined reading habits are vital for a fruitful and successful ministry. With that I am reminded of what Paul himself said to his beloved Timothy “Watch your life and doctrine closely” (1 Tim 4:16).

Secondly, I am told that Chinese churches make a clear distinction between an unordained pastor, who is called a ‘chuan tao’ – an evangelist or preacher of the Word and an ordained pastor, who is called ‘moo tse’ or one who pastors. I had not imagined that I have been anything less than a pastor for the past 14 years in ministry. In the present context however, I am finally accepted as a full-fledged pastor with the title of Reverend. Hence, for the sake of the flock and greater acceptance and effectiveness in ministry, it seems more prudent to surrender to what is culturally more acceptable. After all, scripture does say, “To obey is better than sacrifice…”

Lastly and most importantly, I am told that the Ordination Certificate is recognized in no less than 81 countries where the Alliance is present, thus opening doors to a multitude of ministries worldwide. I am sure this would not be confined to the Alliance but, there would be open doors to other independent and denominational groups. I am excited as this fits in well with my plans to engage in missions work and support, especially in South-East Asian countries, upon retirement from the pastoral ministry.

When I left my previous church about 6 years ago, I shared that I would be leaving them, my Judea for Samaria, which is my present church. Ordination, to me, marks a new beginning to a future work, that is, to the nations and finally, to the ends of the earth.

So, here I am and here I stand, ordained by the C&MA, at the Christian Alliance Church of Victoria this day, mindful that a title now carries with it a greater responsibility towards holiness, faithfulness and effectiveness in ministry.

“Not to us O Lord, not to us, but to your name be the Glory, because of your love and faithfulness.” Ps 115:1

Amen.

Nelson Koh

17 February 2013

4 comments:

Noi said...

It was such a privilege and proud moment for me to witness your ordination, Pa! It is amazing to have a dad who has a wealth of knowledge in theology. More importantly, I see your passion and love for the Lord and for people which continues to inspire me and always will. Thank you for being a Godly example to me and my kids.

Mama said...

mana foto?

Unknown said...

I did not grow up in a very religious environment. But a few years ago I was lucky enough to find God. Surprisingly enough, I am now a happy ordained minister, and have no regrets about it. My life has forever changed thanks to my friends at the Universal Life Church. Because of my ordainment I was able to marry two of my closest friends last summer!

Daniella said...

WOW - will hold you to your South East missions goal! Good on you Pa. So happy and proud of you. Love you.